The Once Canalla: between Californian cliffs and Latin nights
This weekend's plans are only suitable for nonconformists: we go to the American Highway 1, Highway 1 to travel California along the coast. But we make many intermediate stops: we enjoy the Lastarria neighborhood in Santiago, Chile, we tried the best mezcal in Mexico City without forgetting a good sofa and blanket plan.
1. In bed: Daniel Johnston's Disorganism. The illustrator Ricardo Cavolo It honors Daniel Johnston, his life and music. As Cavolo told us, "it is my first graphic novel ... a true birth that deludes me a lot". And more enthusiasm is going to give Johnston himself one of the copies at Primavera Sound in Barcelona.
The disorganism of Daniel Johnston © María F. Carballo
2. On the bar: The Apothecary (Campeche 396, Mexico D.F) “For all evil, mezcal; for all good, too. ” Little else can we say of one of the best mezcalerías of the D.F. 3. Between frames: Head Over Heels (Las Rozas Village, Madrid). If you have to stay in the capital during the bridge, do not fear. You have an appointment with the universe of Stephen Jones in the pop up boutique Head Over Heels where to know the work of the designer and perhaps get an original headdress.
Always mezcal © La Botica
4. In the club: The Clinic (Monjitas 578, Santiago, Chile) Ideal to have a few beers and enjoy some musical performance by a local group. Lastarria neighborhood in all its glory.
Live music and good atmosphere in Santiago de Chile © The Clinic
5. On the table: Creperie Olive (Conde Duque 24 Street, Madrid). If you like crepes, you will not leave here, you will have breakfast, eat, snack and have dinner. Top the sweet!
6. On the road: Highway 1, California. One of the roads with views to go, the California that saw James Dean die and the best sunrises were born. Today we walk it from the Bixby Creek Bridge.
7. In the stadium: Real Madrid - Valladolid, Saturday at 8:00 p.m. in the Santiago Bernabéu.
Creperie Olive © Madrid In Love
8. In the cinema (inside or outside the home): The bridges of Madison, two great actors (Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood), a great movie and the bridges of Madison County. Precisely today we made a tribute Traveler to the suspension bridge. Now we hang on one of the great Hollywood classics.
The bridges of Madison © D.R.
9. On the walkman: Silence Yourself, Savages The new of the female quartet is already online on its website (although we will have to wait next week to get the physical format). The band's speech continues to fly over underground cultural references and recreate in this dark so New wave that brings us closer to Siouxsie & The Banshees than Einstürzende Neubauten (of those who declare more than fans). They will present their new work in Spain on Thursday 23, the first day of Primavera Sound
'Silence Yourself' © Savages
10. A neighborhood: Lastarria, Santiago, Chile. The perfect place to give yourself a gastronomic tribute and enjoy the shops and the most avant-garde culture of the city.
11. In the conversation: this weekend the Motor Market returns to Madrid, will you go? What is the best street market / market you've been to?
* You may also be interested ...
- All the Eleven Gutters
- All articles by María F. Carballo
GAM artistic project in the Lastarria neighborhood © Barrio de Lastarria